CREN is a non-profit, member organization of over 220 universities, colleges, and research organizations governed by a 12-member Board of Trustees.
WHAT IS CREN'S MISSION?
CREN's mission is to support higher education and research organizations with strategic IT knowledge services and communication tools.
WHAT SPECIAL SERVICES DOES CREN PROVIDE?
Digital Certificate Services:
Digital Certificate Services
CREN is now offering an expanded set of digital certificate services to meet the different needs of campuses:
Now, all institutions can come to CREN for digital certificates to secure data exchanges on campuses and between campuses and for B2B applications.
- CREN-signed campus certificates for institutions. These CREN-Signed certificates are for institutions issuing certificates for their campus community - in the range of 15 or more web server certificates and for more than 500-1000 client certificates.
- CREN web server certificates. These certificates are for campuses to use for securing communications to and from web servers supporting a whole range of campus web applications.
- Client certificates. CREN has an internal CREN.NET service equivalent to a campus certificate issuing application. A registration contact at a campus validates/approves individuals and CREN issues the client certificates. These certificates can be used to communicate with vendors, federal agencies and colleagues, etc.
Strategic Knowledge Services:
CREN TechTalks - A series of bimonthly webcasts featuring some of the best minds in higher education IT in a lively interview and live question and answer format.
Strategic and Practical FAQ Series - A handy print guide series on the core concepts and strategies of the emerging infrastructure technologies. These FAQs provide quick and insightful conceptual resources for all IT professionals, campus academic leaders, and committee groups.
ListProc - The premiere UNIX mailing list management software used by CREN members and such companies as Lucent and Prodigy to manage large, distributed mailing lists efficiently. As a CREN member, you are entitled to 24/7 tech support during your membership period. CREN will continue tech support of ListProc v8.2.09 for current members only.
CREN also maintains business alliances that benefit our members. These business alliances include: Blackboard Inc., Microsoft, Adobe Systems, Compaq, SAINT Corporation, Palm, Chrysalis, Lokomo Systems, Dell, Apple, Campus Pipeline, Internet Security Systems, Cisco, Meeting Maker, IBM, and Myricom.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
- Visit our "Test CA" demo page and request a CREN Test CA 'Signature and Authentication Certificate.' Then use that certificate to play the classic game of asteroids or complete a short questionnaire on your experience.
- Explore our archives of past TechTalks, and sign up for advance notification of these talks
- See how campuses that are early adopters of PKI pilot schools are using digital certificates
- Sign up for our Certificate Authority e-mail update list
- Want specifics on becoming a member? Go to Become a Member
- Check out ListProc's features and download an evaluation copy